Jewelry is a wonderful asset which is cherished generation after generation but these glittering materials should be well cared for keeping its original brilliance alive. Lots of care is required for maintaining these worthy ornaments as can get easily damaged.
All jewelries require regular clean up otherwise it looses its shine and charm through time. All different metals and stones in various kinds of jewelries have its cleaning and caring styles. Explore few of the helpful ways to clean your valuable as well lovable jewelries.
Diamonds are for forever and to make this statement true for your set of precious stones, just follow these general tips:
- Always clean your diamonds with soft-bristled non-metallic brush and a mild ammonia and water solution.
- Avoid harsh scrubbing of your stones; always do gentle scrubbing over the surface of diamonds and around the prongs or setting.
- Avoid direct contact with the diamond as can leave your finger prints on that.
All gemstones have its peculiar kind of brilliance and to maintain that, these need to be cleaned properly and stored properly in the following manner:
- Clean your gemstones by simply soaking these separately in a bowl of warm, soapy water for few minutes.
- Then scrub it properly by non-metallic brush to remove any grime.
- Always avoid non-abrasive and harsh jewelry cleanser.
- Never perform the cleaning procedure in sinks as can blow down the drain pipe.
- Always prevent your gemstones from direct sun as can cause following damage
1. Amethyst, Aquamarine, Chrysoprase Kunzite, Rose Quartz, Apatite, Celestite and Smokey Quartz becomes paler or fades.
2. Ametrine and Citrine may change color
3. Aventurine are translucent types often lose color
4. Beryl are brown or orange types may change to pale pink
5. Fluorite are green and purple types change color
Pearls are beautiful creations of nature and even are synthesized these days but these need extra attention to maintain its beauty. Especially, the soft organic layer of nacre on pearls need sincere care as can easily get damage. Pearls can be cared as following:
- Always wash pearls simply in very mild, soapy water without any detergent or chemical.
- Timely restringing of cultured pearls should also be done.
Different metals like gold, silver, bronze, white gold, platinum are used in jewelry but these all need to be cleaned and stored properly.
General tips to care for all kinds of jewelry items:
- Rub alcohol to remove dirt from mountings.
- Always use very soft bristle brush for metals to prevent any scratch.
- Always wipe your metals with soft cloth to dry and buff your jewelry.
- Store jewelry separately so it doesn't scratch other jewelry.
- Always wear your jewelry after bathing and applying any makeup/hair spray.
- Always take off jewelry before involving in high impact sports or swimming in a swimming pool or during any household work specially rings.
- Avoid storing your jewelry in sun or next to a heating vent, window sill or on a car dashboard.
- Always store bead necklaces flat as silk stretches over time.